找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1767|回复: 1

帮忙翻译文章Peru court orders American back to jail

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-8-24 11:33:41 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Peru court orders American back to jail
Lori Berenson was paroled in May after serving 15 years for working with leftist guerillas. Her release stirred outrage.

Peru Court Orders American Lori Berenson Back to Jail
LIMA, Peru (Aug. 18) -- Lori Berenson, a native New Yorker arrested in 1995 and later convicted of aiding a leftist insurgency, turned herself in to Peruvian authorities today after being ordered to return to jail.

Local television station Canal N reported that she handed herself over at the U.S. Embassy in Lima. "She's calm. She is a very strong woman," her husband and lawyer, Anibal Apari, said, according to The Associated Press. "She is going to return to jail with her baby." Berenson's son, Salvador, was born in prison 15 months ago.
Berenson was released on parole in May for good behavior after serving nearly 15 years of a 20-year sentence for collaborating with the Tupac Amaru Revolutionary Movement, or MRTA, a leftist guerrilla group.

Since then, amid public outcry about her release, a panel of judges ruled Berenson should not have been freed, since police failed to confirm the Lima address where she would serve her parole. She could be released from prison again if the issue is resolved.

Her parole had stirred up emotion in a country still reeling from a conflict that killed 69,000 people. The MRTA was active in the 1980s and '90s, at the same time a larger Maoist insurgent group, the Shining Path, attempted to topple the government. Tens of thousands were arrested on terrorism-related charges.

Upon her release in May, Berenson, 40, was met outside her Lima home by dozens of protesters demanding her immediate expulsion from the country. Public controversy further flared in July when the daily newspaper Expreso reported that Peru's government paid her parents $30,000 as compensation because the Inter-American Court of Human Rights ruled she was originally tried by an illegal military court.

Since being paroled, Berenson has been living in an apartment in Miraflores, an upscale section of Lima, waiting for President Alan Garcia to rule on her request for a pardon, which would allow her to return to the U.S. with her son.

Peru's prime minister, Javier Velasquez, said the federal government would not challenge the court's ruling. "In Peru the justice system is autonomous, and as part of developing our democratic institutions, we have to respect the court's decision," he said Wednesday at a press conference.

A student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before becoming a social activist in Latin America, Berenson was arrested on a bus in Peru in 1995 and charged with belonging to the MRTA.

During a televised court hearing Monday, Berenson made a rare public statement in which she publicly apologized for working with the MRTA.

"Yes, I collaborated with the MRTA. I was never a leader or a militant. I never participated in violent or bloody acts. I never killed anybody," she told a panel of judges. "If my participation contributed to societal violence, I am very sorry for this," she said at the hearing.
 楼主| 发表于 2010-8-24 15:30:24 | 显示全部楼层
如下翻译对吗?
秘鲁法庭命令美国人回到监狱
罗瑞.巴瑞松在因为与左派游击队工作被捕15年后假释,她的释放引起公愤。
秘鲁法庭命令美国人罗瑞.巴瑞松回到监狱
利马,秘鲁(8/18)--罗瑞.巴瑞松,一个本土的纽约人于1995年被捕,随后被控告协助左派叛乱机构,在被命令回监狱后她自己于今天进了秘鲁警局。
当地电视台运河N报导说她把自己交给在利马的美国大使馆。她很冷静,是一个非常坚强的女人。她的丈夫兼律师-爱倪波.阿帕瑞说,根据美国联合通讯社所要求,她将要和她的小孩巴瑞松一起回到监狱。萨瓦多于15个月以前出生在监狱。
巴瑞松因为勾结土帕克阿马如改革运动,或者说是MRTA,一个左派的非正规队伍,在被判有期徒刑20年的15年服刑中有良好表现而被假释。
此后,公众公开反对她的释放,由法官成立的专门小组判定不应该给予巴瑞松自由,自从警察没能成功确认她应在利马服保释刑期的具体地址。如果这个问题解决了她应该能被再次释放。
她的保释在一个因为那场战争死了69,000人并直到现在还受之影响的国家引起了一场运动。MRTA是在19世纪80年代和90年代之间活动,同时段一个更大的毛泽东主义游击队伍-杰出的轨迹,试图推翻政府。数万人因被控告与恐怖主义有关而被捕。
今年5月,巴瑞松已经40岁了,随着她的释放,当每日新闻expreso报导说秘鲁政府给了她父母30,000美金作为赔偿金时,一群反抗者在她于利马的房子外面要求她立即离开这个国家。因为美国国际个人权益法庭裁定她原本被一个不正规的军事法庭审判。
自从被假释,巴瑞松一直住在利马的高消费阶层区域麦尔佛罗德的一个房子里,等待总统阿兰.伽西尔对她的请求原谅作出裁决,如果总统同意了,那将意味着她能和她的儿子一起回到美国。
秘鲁的首相,嘉威尔.威勒斯克兹于星期三在一个新闻发布会上说联邦政府不会挑战法院的规定。在秘鲁,公正系统是自治的,并且作为发展我们外交制度的一部分,我们一定会尊重法院的决定。
在成为拉丁美洲一名社会活动家之前曾是一名在马萨诸塞州科技学院的学生的巴瑞松在秘鲁的一辆公共汽车上因为被控告属于MRTA而被捕。
在星期一的一次电视直播庭审听证会上,巴瑞松做了一个罕见的公开申明,她因自己曾与MRTA工作而公开道歉。
是的,我与MRTA合作过。我从来不是一个领导者或激进分子。我从来没有参与暴力或是血腥的行动。我从来没有杀过一个人,她告诉那些法官,如果我的参与构成了社会暴力的一部分,那我感到非常抱歉,她在听证会上说。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|大耳朵英语社区 ( 客服QQ群:19012993  

GMT+8, 2019-10-20 22:57